Me and Dr. Martin Luther King




Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.


Dr. Kings murder
shocked the 60's once again.
As a kid I did not realize that all of this calamity was not the norm.
As I grew up I understood the 60's were quite tumultuous.
Dr. King was murdered April 4, 1968
on the balcony of the Lorraine motel.
I have been there.


I have a childhood memory of the time surrounding Dr. Kings death.
It was close to Easter.
My parents and I went to Sears to buy Easter clothes.
Every person of color within 100 miles was there.
Why?
They were buying clothes
so they could attend
Dr. Kings funeral.
Wow!
It was a lot of people
buying a lot of clothes
just so they could honor a man they admired
most of them would only be
standing in the street
and watching a funeral procession
pass by.
This made quite an impression on
a young girl.
The changes of the 60's still affect our lives today.
And, I feel that a lot is changing
here at the beginning of a new century.
Only time will tell
what this century will bring.


Comments

Popular Posts