Packing Tips For the Road Adventurer

I'd love to head out on a trip every weekend! I did want to be a flight attendant but I did not have the health for it. Just a shame! But I've been blessed to travel and have amazing experiences nonetheless. I am truly blessed.

I thought I would continue with a few more travel tips.

Wardrobe
One of the best things I have ever done is to coordinate my wardrobe usually with three basic colors.
Usually I travel in black, white and gray.
Taking a mix of these three color neutrals lends itself to a variety of outfits and is totally mix and match.
I usually wear all black on a plane. Why? I am more prone to spills than my kids ever were and black hides a multitude of sins.  You can always add a pop of color via a scarf or bold jewelry. Easy peasy.
(I look a little jet lagged here at Tivoli gardens but that little black and white scarf I actually purchased at the Kensington London TJ Maxx and I have worn it literally 100 times at least!)

I threw in a short sleeved blue t and a light camel sweater for Copenhagen. I was not sure what the temps would be in early September. It was cool enough to wear a light jacket most of the day,  I think because we were so near the water, but a little t-shirt can always be layered or worn in the hotel. Again easy to carry.

I also roll my clothes for packing. You would not believe how much more you can fit in a suitcase when you roll. That little tip is U-Mazing!
I also have packing cubes for undies especially. The great thing about packing cubes is that when you get to your destination, pop that little jewel in the dresser drawer and unzip and you have a little mini drawer that keeps everything self-contained. I admit I have had a recurring nightmare of my unzipped suitcase coming around the luggage belt with all the unmentionables spilling out everywhere! The little packing cubes have relieved my irrational fears. 
Aren't irrational fears so irrational?

Shoes
Let's be practical here ladies. Yes, I love pretty shoes just like the rest of girls everywhere. But do I really want to schlep them around? I carry two practical pair of shoes.  I might add a pair of boots to the mix if it is cold. If I am doing any sort of hiking or trail walking, of course trail shoes come along. 
And of if I go out with my husband to a business dinner, I have a nice black Michael Kors dress (https://www.macys.com/shop/product/michael-michael-kors-twist-waist-wrap-dress) and a pair on black pumps. Always in style. Always fashionable. A nice black pair of pants with pumps topped with a lovely white shirt makes a nice dressy dinner outfit too. Most places either will fit but if its business, might as well err on the side of being over dressed than underdressed. Trust me, I have made the underdressed mistake and it was embarrassing. 
(In Miami beach no less, that is a tale I wont even tell here, I'm still trying to get over that one!) I won't make that mistake again. And if you are the only one in a dress at least you will be chicly overdressed and make a memorable impression.

Jewelry and Medications

I might bring a couple of nice pieces of jewelry when I travel but i would never, never, never pack them, they would always be right with me in my purse or carry on. I have heard too many horror stories of precious jewelry being lost or stolen. Nope, not happening if I can help it.
I carry any meds I might need or think I might need with me in my carry on. I carry my toothbrush and toothpaste too, after 8 hours on a plane, brushing your teeth is a nice refresher.

I love to travel. Yes, I get tired here and there and there are some inconveniences from time to time, but oh the places you will go, makes it totally worth the effort.
(Little Mermaid statue, Copenhagen Harbor.)
(And tourists, like me, trying to get a good picture!)
(She is a small 3-4 ft. statue but oh she draws the tourists!)

I'd love to hear your travel or packing tips!
Happy travels friends!


Comments

Popular Posts