Why I love Southerners and their hospitality.

We Southerners are
hospitable.
We open our homes and our arms and say
sure ya'll come on over.
I like that.
I have noticed that city folk are more closed and private.
Perhaps this is a protection mechanism.
When you travel in Europe and go to a restaurant
you may be seated at a table with a total stranger.
There is no sitting by yourself at a table and reading your book
not if it is crowded.
In Europe they just do not have the space for such a luxury.
I have seen the look on the face of an American seated at the table with a stranger
and I guess shock is the best way to describe it.
A Southerner, would be fine with this concept.
"Hey, how are you, where are you from, what do you do?"
You know we would know about their whole family by the time the meal was finished.
And they would think "My isn't this Southerner charming?"
We are people after all and should be able to just talk to one another.
I do have the habit of talking to strangers wherever I go.
We were at a rest stop one time traveling to Florida.
I was talking to a nice lady in the restroom.
When we got to the car my 4 year old niece said
"Aunt Bonnie how do you know that lady?"
I just had to laugh,
"I do not know her darlin I was just talking to her."
Being a nice southerner
I think.
I know there are some places I just will not reside.
I probably should not name them but they know who they are.
The big cities where the don't talk to me attitude reigns.
And the foreign countries where they are too snobby to talk to a Southern gal.
I know not to move to those places.
I would just be too lonely.


Comments

Popular Posts