The 60's in the South

I just finished reading this:
The Help
by Kathryn Stockett
What a riveting book!
It is a tale of the early 60's
and about lines which cannot be crossed between
the help and the white patrons for which they work.
There are many cultural insights in the book
that remind me of my childhood
and many good things
that are endearing about the south.
Included in the novel
are many things about
the south in the 60's which are
shameful
and appalling.
The fact that the collective south
was so racist and segregated
is a shameful fact.
As for me, I was not taught to be racist.
My father, and grandfather were big generous men.
They treated everyone equally and I never heard
a racist joke or saw them treat a person of color in any way other than
respectful.
My grandfather had a farm
he had field hands who helped him
and we all sat around a big dining room table and
ate the delicious food that my grandmother had cooked.
I never knew that there was a different way to be.
We had "help" growing up.
I do not remember
anything but kindness
being shown in both directions
in our home.
So if you want to read a book that will
give you insights into
that time in history and the relationship between black and white women in the south.
"The Help"
might be an enjoyable read for you.

In Kathryn Stockett's own words:

"Like my feelings for Mississippi, my feelings for The Help conflict greatly. Regarding the lines between black and white women, I am afraid I have told too much. I was taught not to talk about such uncomfortable things, that it was tacky, impolite, they might hear us.

I am afraid I have told too little. Not just that life was so much worse, for many black women working in the homes in Mississippi. But also, that there was so much more love between white families and black domestics, that I didn't have the ink or the time to portray."

Comments

  1. Let me add that this in no way has a Christian theme or message but nonetheless was an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts