Why study the words of life book, The Bible?

There has been a lot of discussion lately regarding effective Bible study method. What to do? How to do? Is the Bible still relevant or are those words for the old times? Societal mores are changing. Do we swing along left or right or are we stable and standing on the rock? As Christians, I believe we stand on the word and its principles, THE rock, but how, how do I know what to do or act in our current world or in a current situation. There is an answer.
First we have to reconcile ourselves to "the book", is it true? Is it valuable? Do I believe it? If I do then yes, its content influences my every move.

The word was from the beginning, was with God, was God.

John 1
The Eternal Word ] In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. ...

Jesus spoke the words of  eternal life;
John 6: 68
But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.

Don't take away from the Word;
Revelation 21:19
and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book ofLife, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

The Bible is a book like no other, it speaks in a way like no other, it is a living and active book;
Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the jointand marrowand is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

We can hold in our hands the words and the book of life. Wow! That is a book like no other. We have all been moved by words perhaps in another book but no moving or stirring occurs like that which comes from the living Word of God.

So, as a Christian, how do I respond?
I study, I seek, I search, I immerse myself in the word, to know, 
to know God first and foremost
to know myself, I let God judge and discern my thoughts
the intent of my heart
I soak myself in the words, the words of life,
And I am forever changed.

Is this an easy task? NO! But oh so beneficial!

The study of the Bible is like acquiring a tool chest and its tools. I add a screwdriver, a hammer, a wrench, one at a time bit by bit.

Right now, I am searching for a new car, mine is getting older and it is time. I have time to make a decision, I can take my time.
But, IF my car completely died and was finished and sitting on the side of the road, I would quickly have to make a decision regarding a car. Today perhaps, the next hour perhaps? Certainly by tomorrow something would have to be done about my car.

The study of the Bible gives me the tools to make a decision, any decision. Quickly, we may have to make a life decision, about forgiveness, about a sick or dying love one, about a job, any earthly thing we come across we may have quick decisions to make. How do I approach that? Well, if I have studied my Bible, day after day, time after time, I have the tools in my chest, (wisdom) to pull out and face the task. I might need one tool or I might need all of the tools, but because of hard study and discipline I am ready.

Yes, we always include prayer, yes we allow the Holy Spirit to work, but when that time comes those tools, those treasures, those words of life, are stored up, in your tool chest, at your ready access and you are ready for whatever may come your way!

The time to prepare for the future is now, not later, when the heat of any moment arises you draw upon all that you have stored up to help lead and guide you in those times. We cannot be careless preparers or we will have very little to pull out of our spiritual tool chest.

We add to our tool chest, precept upon precept, line upon line.
Isaiah 28: 10
For precept must be upon preceptprecept upon precept, Line upon line, line upon line, Here a little, there a little.”

Why would I squander my time, or life, on not studying the Word? It is eternal, it is everlasting. My brief vapor of life will quickly vanish. In that moment will TV matter? Will sports matter?  Will my excellent cooking or cleaning matter? No! 

My feelings are important but what I know to be true is most important. My feelings on a subject can lead me left, or right, or up or down in any given moment. I must have a firm foundation of the word that will guide me. My feelings are changeable, moveable, the Word, stays and stands true, even if I do not.

What matters is knowing and believing God, Jesus, And the Word. They are the only substance that will matter for eternity.


So lets get busy. Study to show ourselves approved. 

II Timothy 2:15
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

I must study to be an effective worker who can rightly use and respond to the word!

 At times yes it is hard and perhaps boring, long, like school, a lesson of seeming drudgery.

But in that moment when you hear something that is so valuable it changes your very life, you are changed, forever, and oh so so blessed, all the hours of study become invaluable in your eyes!

 What a great gift and blessing God has given us, in our hands, at our disposal, lets grab onto the Word and go forth into our lives, prepared and ready to love and serve Him and others. 




Comments

Popular Posts