Memories of 9/11/2001

I had taken the children to piano lessons.
My husband called my cell, (that was a miracle because in the old days of cell phone technology my cell phone did not work at piano lessons, he got through.)
He said "A plane has hit one of the Twin Towers in NYC, it was a big plane, it must be an horrible accident! A pilot must have had a heart attack or something."
I went inside and asked the piano teacher if I could turn on her television.
There had been a terrible accident.
There we sat.
And watched.
As the second plane hit,
and then the Pentagon.
I knew.
We were under attack.
My fear:
 that my children would experience war
in the contiguous states.
Fear ensued.
We watched the towers fall.
This was not a "Die Hard" movie.
People were dying.
We came home and watched the news coverage.
The commercial planes stopped.
Air Force jets flew overhead.
Surreal was the moment and the days ahead.
For some reason I slept the first night following the attack
the next night
I could not.
People had died.
Loved ones of someone were missing.
Workers were hunting and digging and searching
and families were waiting for loved ones to come home and
many did not.
We were changed...forever.
We were resolved to root out the assassins.
We watched, we prayed, we were disturbed in our spirits.
Yet, men and women ran toward danger.
Many signed up to fight this enemy,
and we were living our version,
of the Greatest Generation.
As 9/11 passes once again I am reminded
of our country, forever changed.
I am reminded to pray for those who lost their lives
and for the families and friends who remain,
who grieve, yet continue on.
We do that
because
we are Americans.
God bless the brave and the martyred.
God bless the USA!
As President George W. Bush said:
"We will not tire
we will not falter
we will not fail!"
September 20, 2001

Comments

Popular Posts