Christmas hoopla has begun...let's take a pause.

It's started.
The Christmas madness has begun.
Commercials for toys and Christmas musicals have hit the airwaves.
Do I really need a trip to Branson, MO?
I think not.
The stores are stocking up with fake trees, shiny ornaments and all other things
blinky blinky
and
glittery glittery.
It all makes me take a pause.
Now, don't get me wrong,
I own my share of glittery too.
But, how did Jesus come to earth?
He came with a mystery star and a heavenly host looking down.
Jesus was born in a stable, in a humble manger,
surrounded by animals
 and straw,
and humble simple people.
Wood, straw, hay, stars, and humility.
Does shiny and blinky represent that?
Maybe as I am getting older
 shiny and blinky don't appeal anymore.
I will use all of my favorite collected things this Christmas.
But, I see Jesus, surrounded by
 simplicity.
I will remember Him and His arrival on that quiet star lit night.
I will honor Him in His humility as He came to redeem us all.
And I will honor Him in my heart remembering the way He came to earth,
not as the mall and advertisers would like me to celebrate Christmas.
Stars and greenery and a wood nativity suit Jesus.
I hope to avoid the shiny
and the plastic
versions
of Him.

Comments

Popular Posts