Happy Trails

I get to travel a good bit with the dh. We have had some amazing domestic and overseas trips. We have had fun seeing the sights, eating some amazing food and jetting off to new and wonderful places. I will not bore you with details about the night I nearly died on a Czech Air flight let's just say that one was a faith builder. I did manage to get over the adrenaline rush by the time we got to baggage claim in Prague.
I have learned a few tips along the way and I thought summer would be a good time to share. I do envy the airline flight crews with their tiny manageable bags, I am not to that level of luggage compactness but maybe I will make it to their level one day. But here are a few of my semi-rookie tips.

I like to have my computer with me as well as books, magazines, a journal, pens and pencils. (If we go on a long overseas flight I do take my Kindle.) Plus I carry a few of life's luxuries like hand lotion, cough drops, contact lens solution etc. I have tried the back pack route but honestly I got tired of schlepping my bag even on my back so I got a rolling computer carry-on bag from Eddie Bauer. This is one of the best purchases I have ever made. It carries all my things neatly and in an organized fashion. My bag rolls easily and I do have two hands so my carry-on rolls in one hand and my luggage in the left. I leave enough room in my carry-on to fit a small purse. That way I can stow the purse while walking a long distance and get it out when needed. This has worked great for me.

On the subject of travel wardrobe, comfortable is best and you will almost always need a jacket or a sweater on an airplane. I have an Eddie Bauer windbreaker that folds up into a small pocket. That little jewel has been worn all over Europe and Alaska. I also keep a small umbrella in the front outside pocket of my suitcase that can easily be pulled out if needed.

When traveling on long trips (the last long one was seventeen days) I try to only take clothes that mix and match, black, white and gray. You can add a punch of color with scarves or jewelery.  Limiting shoes helps as well although do take several pairs to swap daily. This gives your feet a needed break and you will have an extra pair in case one gets soaking wet. I might take three pair at the most.

About the underwear conundrum. You didn't know there was a conundrum?  Imagine trying to pack seventeen pairs of underwear, men's or women's, why waste a good bit of valuable space?  The world traveler dh discovered Exofficio travel underwear. Genius! They are made of some super light super fast drying fabric that surely was invented by NASA. You will only need two pair. Washing undies at night is no big deal and you are ready to go again the next day.

Finally, creature comforts. A lot of places in Europe do not provide washcloths. I bought a pack of tiny baby washcloths which travel with me to Europe. I also carry a small bottle of yummy shower gel. No matter how hard the day of travel, a nice shower with my little washcloth and shower gel can do wonders for a weary soul. One more brilliant find; Degree body spray. This little spray can be used as body spray of course, as a foot spray, as a fabric spray to refresh your clothes or questionable hotel linens, it can refresh the scent of your room, and as a bathroom air freshener. Shew, that is a lot of punch for one little bottle of spray. I won't leave home without it.

We have had some amazing travel adventures. I try to refine my travel experience with every trip. I want to travel with my little pleasures and to have economy of space and wardrobe at the same time. I want to have the best travel experience possible and these little items have helped me along the way.
I hope you get to travel to some amazing locales this summer. I am always looking forward to the next adventure.

Happy Trails to you all!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts