Let's talk yogurt.

Off the travel topic today but I recently made an Instagram post about homemade yogurt and it generated a lot of interest so I thought I'd post about it here.

Now that I think about it let me add yogurt to the travel topic. One of the things I love about traveling in Europe is the yogurt they have in their breakfast rooms. (It is called that in some places!) The European version of yogurt is thinner than ours and not sugary nor served in little cups. Alongside the yogurt are raisins, nuts, seeds, granola, honey, all wonderful accoutrements. Its a great breakfast treat and easy to make at home.
If you are dairy free, I'm sorry, yogurt is one of my favorites and at this point I'm not giving it up! I have cut way back on my dairy consumption but hey sometimes life can't just be all about meat and vegetables! (Wink!)
I have a small Salton yogurt maker which is basically a little incubator. You can make yogurt in a warm place but Ive never done it without the maker.
Here goes;
  • Warm up one quart (whole or two percent) milk in a saucepan over medium low heat until bubbles appear around the edges and steam rises from the surface. Remove saucepan from heat and insert a thermometer. When the temperature reaches 110-115 degrees add the starter (1 Tablespoon plain yogurt) You can buy commercial starter at health food stores for store bought yogurt works just fine.




  • Add some heated milk to your starter, mix, add back into the saucepan. Make sure your yogurt is at 110-115, if the heat is too high you will kill your starter.
  • Fill your yogurt maker and incubate on counter. I do mine for about 8 hours, overnight works fine too.
  • Chill yogurt and it keeps about two weeks in fridge.

You can add a few tablespoons of sugar if you want.
I also add vanilla extract.

Normally I eat my yogurt with frozen blueberries and a sprinkling of honey.

Easy, delicious, chemical free!
Lo calorie low fat snack with fruit it is a good filler for between meals.
Enjoy.

* Recipe from "French Women Don't get Fat, the Secret of Eating for Pleasure" by Mireille Guiliano
Knopf Publishing, 2005

* A cute read if you are interested!

Comments

Popular Posts