Old man old is creeping in.

I can feel it.
I am falling behind.
I want to be young and feel young
but my abilities
are not young anymore.
The knees ache, the weight sticks and sometime when it comes to technology, the brain gets fuzzy.
I can barely keep up with the technology of my phone.
I want to but my practiced arts are old.
I can sew. I can cook from scratch. I can bake bread.
I can garden and produce a crop.
But can I keep up with the technology of 2011?
I am being left behind.
I never wanted to feel like my parents but now I understand.
It can, at times, all just be too much.
I like my phone, my computer, my fancy washer.
I like all the bells and whistles of my car.
I like that I can keep up with my world traveling husband through skype and twitter.
But there is a part of me, deep down, that sometimes longs for the simple.
Phones hung on walls and rang and then we sat still to talk.
TV was simple too, Jackie Gleason and Carol Burnett.
Oh where are they now?
I do long for summer days, simple and fun.
Eating candy and drinking soda from glass bottles young and  carefree.
Clean sheets and a soft pillow to fall into.
The whir of a fan and the sound of summer crickets.
The smell of fresh cut grass.
We really did go for Sunday drives and the stores were closed.
Simpler, stillness, dinner tables gathered round
at dusk.
Street lights burn dim, be home by then.

Yes, once in a while, I do long, for some good old days.

Comments

Popular Posts