Labor Day Pains....a reminder.

As I sit here on Labor Day
I am reminded of all of the Labor Days past.
In the old days, we would go back to school,
the following Tuesday.
 I was one of those kids who
hated school,
HATED.
The only thing that gave me have a glimpse of hope  regarding school 
was 
reuniting with my friends.
I did love Brownies,
and dance class,
and hot lunch at school.
I hated ALL the rest.
Music class was ok, I suppose.
Why would a young suburban kid
hate school?
I really have no idea.
I am one who struggles with grasping new concepts but
once I get it,
I get it.
I was a great reader and a great writer and speller.
Math...was the death of me.
And History...oh History...how I love thee!
I suppose, I really am a nature lover,
an outside sort of gal.
I hated the idea of all of those months and months of being
cooped up with books and pencils and such.
Yuck!
Now, at age ....plus, I am a learner.
But then,
I despised learning
and
wow, I must have given my teachers a boatload of trouble.
I have a fond melancholy remembrance of
riding my bike on that last free glorious evening before school,
and a tear almost comes to my eye.
I can imagine how prisoners feel, that is how I felt, an impending sense of doom, the pall of school upon me.
I am grateful to have grown up,
to have passed through my hatred of learning.
I still can feel the dread of the dawn of the new school year.
I am just grateful that as tomorrow dawns,
I am an adult
and the school doldrums have passed me by.
I will say a little prayer for all you students,
you need the grace of the Lord
as I once did.

Comments

Popular Posts