I've finally done it, I went Christmas shopping!

Well, I did it, I went Christmas shopping.

I have spent two pretty good chunks of time out and about trying to check gifts off of my list.
 I had a pretty good time, but I made an observation.
There are two types of Christmas shoppers (or store clerks)
The cheery happy sort
or
the really out of sorts.
You see the first type cheerfully shopping or  helping by opening a door for you. They might be singing or whistling. They smile. They may even be drinking a coffee drink of some sort and enjoying the day.
The other sort, they are grumpy, griping, and honking their horns in traffic.
I feel sorry for the second group.
I know we all have a lot to check off of our lists. 
And I know that some days go better than others.
But it is a season of cheer and goodwill.
I have had my grumpy moments too.
Here is my little list of solutions and warnings:
  • First, have a plan and work the plan. Making a list certainly helps and having an idea of what you are searching for is great. I am not one to wander the stores looking for presents. I go to shop for something specific.
  • Second, be well rested and well fed. It does not help to be suffering from low blood sugar or too little sleep. And especially do not drag around little children as your helpers if they have missed their meal or need their sleep. If you are having a bad day - skip the shopping.
  • Third, give grace. We are all in a hurry and we all have a lot on our plates. Give way in traffic. (It helps me to play a VERY peaceful Christmas  in the car while I am out in the fray!) Let someone step in front of you in line without having a meltdown. We are all in this together. Make it a goal to be nice and cheerful and grace-giving and forgiving.
Keep in your mind who we are celebrating this Christmas season.
And live by the WWJD model.
The older I get and the more grace I have received the more I want to give.
Let's bless those shoppers around us, even the grumpy ones.
I am going to try and cheerfully gather those gifts and live by my own little words.
I hope you will too!


Comments

  1. I am not grumpy.
    I am shopping online.

    You are so funny !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just amazing to me the grumpiness that comes out in the season of good cheer. If I GET grumpy, I go home. Also, it helps when folks understand things like standing in line or staying in their own lane in traffic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts