The passing of a humble man who felt like a giant to me.

A beloved brother, David Wilkerson, left us April 27, 2011.
He has gone on to glory with the Lord and the saints
but down here
I am already missing him.
If you do not know the name David Wilkerson you may know of his most famous book, 
"The Cross and the Switchblade" we read that book in  public high school although now I guess that might not be allowed.
David Wilkerson was Pastor at Times Square Church. He felt called to minister on the streets on New York in the 60's when things were not so glamorous in NY as they are now.
His life and his ministry made quite an impact on many.
His words certainly touched me.
We moved to Memphis Tennessee in the 1980's
I was new in town and I found Christian radio to keep me company.
I had a mini revival in my life during that time. Many new Christian avenues were opened to me.
Somehow, I came across David Wilkerson's newsletter and signed up.
That was the mid-1980's and I have been treasuring those words ever since.
I have grabbed my friends and family and said, "You have got to hear this."
When that newsletter came in the mail it was the first thing I opened and often sat and immediately read cover to cover.
David Wilkerson often spoke word's from the Lord with a "hammer" and many I am sure would not take such a strong word well, but David Wilkerson  asked for words from the Lord and WOW did he receive them.
I have been blessed.
So the passing of a humble preacher may go unnoticed by the world.
But I noticed.
Those words have been silenced but the message lives on.
David Wilkerson you have touched my life.
You have been a mentor to me although we have never met
but one day,
we will.

Thank you.

Comments

  1. I have a friend.
    Many years ago she lived in Memphis.
    Faithfully, in large manilla envelopes, she would mail his written treasures.
    Sharing words of richness & hard truth with little ole' me.

    Thank you friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts